Thursday, January 28, 2010

The joys of January...not so much.

---note to readers, I proved myself delirious. Delirious from exhaustion I suppose. I realized after posting this blog, that I had already blogged about RSV. But had forgotten that I had done so. Ooops. Sorry for the repeat details.---


This is just another one of those "help me remember" blogs. I know I will never forget, but the specifics would just become blurry like every thing else in my memory.

As I write this, our sweet baby girl has RSV and pneumonia and a double ear infection! What started as just a runny nose on Friday, turned into all of the mentioned by Monday. After running a fever all weekend, I debated on taking her into Urgentcare, or waiting to see her pediatrician on Monday. I opted for the latter, and feel so guilty. She had to have her nose swabbed; which is super painful. She had to get naked and lay on a hard piece of metal for 2 chest xrays. And she had to be prescribed the nastiest of nasty medicines, which of course is the most important one, her antibiotic. Augmentin extra strength, or as the bottle says, Amoxicillan TR-K. It makes her gag to the point of vomiting all stomach contents. Even after I mixed it with Hershey's syrup, she still gagged. So that leads us to today....when I called the doctors office to let them know (again) that she wasn't keeping her oral medicines down, and it wasn't for a lack of trying or creativity. And only after I asked for them, Rocephin shots were prescribed. Rocephin is a waaaaay strong antibiotic injection, that has to be administered in consecutive doses. In Karlee's case, 3 shots. One Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday. The shots are painful. So painful that they are mixed with Lidocaine. Ohhhhh how it breaks my heart at what all she's had to endure! She is such a trooper and God is so great. I have felt His comfort and peace through all of this, no doubt. He has given me strength as her mother to give her the best care I can, and to balance both kids, and life at the same time. Breathing treatments every 4 hours, medicines given with a struggle, abundance of snot, uneasy sleep while listening for all the little movements and breaths over the monitor, hours of endless rocking in my lap....yeah I do it, but I'm blessed to be able to do it. And I hope miss ladybug knows how much we love her and want her to make a full recovery. At this point, I'm just glad she's not in the hospital. Which was a very good possibility. Phew!

Now all of the above cannot be mentioned without the mentioning of something else that is of great value to the story. Through all of this (take in mind that we've all been sick with some thing at some point since the first week in December!!) I have seen Kevin show characteristics of a very mature and loving man and father. Not that he wasn't loving or mature BEFORE this happened, however he has really stepped up to the plate and beyond. He has taken days off to help me with the kids when they were sick at the same time. He has taken Kole to school and picked him up as well, just so Karlee can stay confined to the warmth of home while she was at her sickest. He has rocked and swayed and fed and played with both kids. He has just been the best. I haven't stroked his ego properly...but he knows I'm proud of him.

So as I end this...we are awaiting the biggest snow of the winter...and even bigger snow than what we got last year and maybe even the year before that. SUPPOSEDLY, we are going to get anywhere from 3 to 10 inches by Saturday evening. It's Thursday night right now. It's supposed to start overnight and stay consistent all day Friday. Kevin has been watching the weather channel like most men watch ESPN. And to be quite honest, I hope we get a ton of snow! Kole (and all the other little kids) may never see this much snow again for 10 years! I can't wait to play in it and take pictures in it and play in it some more!!!! I am just asking for God's blessing to get us to the hospital for Karlee's other 2 injections, and then we're home free for some good old fashioned fun. Well, the 3 big kids are...Karlee will just have to take a rain check. She'll thank me later.